Monday, January 9, 2012

Getting Serious About Clutter

No, we did not just go through an earthquake, nor was my office searched by the FBI. Sadly, this is just the way that my desk area looks, which is why I am typing this entry on my laptop while sitting in the relatively uncluttered living room of my house.

A few days ago when I started this blog and made my initial attempt to de-clutter my living room I realized pretty quickly that there was a big difference between cleaning and minimizing. While you can do the former (cleaning) fairly easily, to really do the latter (minimize) you need a plan for what to do with the excess "stuff", and you need the intention of actually seeing things go away.

This morning, I dropped my wife off at the airport. She is headed to Hawaii for a week of work (I know, she has a tough job). Before she left I said, "Do I have permission to do a serious minimize on the office while you are gone?"

"Um, yes," she said, "but I would prefer it if you don't throw anything away of mine for now."

"Okay to box stuff?"

"Sure," she replied brightly. I had the impression that she thinks this will be another futile attempt of mine to tackle the Forbidden Zone - also known as The Office.

This time will be different, though, because I have a plan... and I have an intention. In short, I am sick of living with all this stuff. I recall Leo Babauta writing a post about how tough it is to be creative when your desk is cluttered. He's right, of course. I'm a writer, and I cannot remember the last time I actually used my desk or my office for writing. It has become so cluttered that when I do actually write I flee to cafes, libraries, my kitchen table, or as I am doing now, the chair in the living room.

No more, I have had enough!

1 comment:

  1. wait, if you're successful, do I get my chair back?

    ReplyDelete