Thursday, February 2, 2012

How to Minimize When Injured

Question: What does a Minimalist in Training do when slightly injured (see previous post on my back tweak) but still wants to minimize the messy kitchen cabinets?

**Below is the coffee and tea cabinet...

Answer: Give your significant other wine...

And put them to work clearing cabinets...

As before, decide what the space is really for, take everything out, clean the space, and only place back the items that should be there. Everything else either goes in storage or is sent packing. St. Vincent DePaul charity is getting a box of coffee mugs in this case, and tea and coffee that is not in current use is in storage in the pantry.

And this is what the tea and coffee side of the cabinet looks like now...

This made the cabinets much more usable. You will also note there is a jumble of items on the top of the cabinets that need to be dealt with (crock pot, chopper, cereal), but by this point my faithful assistant had downed two glasses of wine and I didn't think suggesting she get up on a ladder or chair was a good idea.

She is cute, though, and totally with me on the whole minimizing and simplifying path.


2 comments:

  1. haha... put me to work, huh? I seem to recall suggesting it. :) And yes, I'm completely on board and really enjoy opening the cabinets and being able to see what I need immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, putting you to work may have been stretching the truth just a bit. Having you with me on all this minimizing and simplifying is keeping me motivated to sustain this. I love the fact that the places we have managed to minimize in the house are still minimized. It is easier to find things and the spots we've minimized are easier to keep clean.

      In the past, once a place was cleaned and organized, stuff would creep back in, but if you really minimize the things in the spot to what should actually be there for the particular space, it is easier to not let stuff-creep happen again.

      ILY2d

      Delete